Esta entrada se publicó originalmente en Escapement Magazine el .
Panerai Submersible Goldtech Orocarbo 44mm (PAM01070)
The Panerai Submersible Goldtech Orocarbo 44mm (PAM01070) features a bezel formed of Carbotech, a composite material made from numerous layers of carbon fibre, forged together using heat, high pressure and a polymer binder. Most notably, the case is made of Goldtech, an ingenious evolution of 18-carat gold delivering advancement. Once again, this luxury brand from Neuchâtel demonstrates its penchant for innovation while upholding many of the brand’s historical design codes.
The creative team working at Panerai‘s HQ in Neuchâtel has been burning the midnight oil lately. How do I know? Very simple, my email inbox has been struggling to cope with the numerous Panerai-related press releases that keep arriving, each announcing another creation. However, I am not complaining, the brand’s designers have produced an impressive body of work this year. Indeed, each additional model brings something new to the table while remaining true to the brand’s tried and trusted design language.
Celebrating 70 years of the Luminor, many of this year’s ‘novelties’ have been Luminor-themed, but not all. The Submersible, once an extension of the Luminor family, has enjoyed independence for some time and sits alone, Greta Garbo style.
Once a utilitarian object, the latest addition to the brand’s collection, the Panerai Submersible Goldtech Orocarbo 44mm (PAM01070) is anything but. While it remains practical, it brims with luxury courtesy of its noble case and Carbotech bezel.
The brand’s ‘Goldtech’ moniker refers to the modified composition of the case material. This material remains 18-carat gold, 75% pure gold. However, the brand has cleverly modified the remaining 25% which features additional copper as well as soupçon of platinum, making it darker and less prone to oxidation. Once again, Panerai demonstrates that practicality and luxury can happily coexist.
The brand’s press release (September 2020)
The rare combination of innovation and tradition defies convention, Panerai expands the dimensions of its collection of diving instruments with an offering that combines two innovative materials for the first time: Panerai GoldtechTM and CarbotechTM. Though seemingly antithetical, the pairing is surprisingly complementary in the Submersible GoldtechTM – 44 mm (PAM01070).
Once again an exponent of the well tested 44 mm size, the new reference makes its distinctive character apparent through a balance between disciplined elegance and bold athleticism. Its personality is enhanced by a case made from Panerai GoldtechTM, a gold alloy with an intense and stable colour made possible by its significant copper content and enrichment with platinum.
The dial features applied indexes and satiné soleil decoration, an unconventional embellishment in the Submersible collection.
To break with the ordinary and accentuate the attitude of the model, a material was chosen to give shape and substance to functional components such as the bezel, crown and crown bridge lever.
Known as CarbotechTM, this composite consists of overlapping carbon fibre sheets with alternating orientations (seven per millimetre), aggregated using controlled temperature and high pressure and fused with a late-generation polymer binder.
Conceived to realize its full potential in extreme conditions, and tailored to the specific requirements of diving, the Submersible GoldtechTM – 44 mm is configured as a highly reliable tool able to withstand high pressure thanks to features like a unidirectional rotating bezel and screwed caseback. Luminescent indexes, hands and dots in green/blue are immediately legible underwater.
High quality mechanics contribute to the model’s reliability, accuracy and precision, all functional contributions thanks to the P.900 Calibre. The next-generation movement was designed and developed entirely by the Panerai Manufacture in Neuchâtel. Notably, for a watch of its diameter and thickness (4.2mm), it combines a date indication and three-day power reserve.
Water resistant up to 30 bar (about 300 meters deep) the new Submersible GoldtechTM – 44 mm features a black rubber strap and a trapezoidal pin buckle in titanium with black DLC coating.
An additional strap composed of Panerai SportechTM in black with ecru stitching also accompanies the watch, along with a screwdriver for removing the buckle and a box made from recycled plastic.